Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cucumber and Radish Salad

Source:  Bon Appetit Magazine

3/4 c sliced almonds -- toasted
1 small shallot finely chopped
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1.5 lb English cucumber cut into 1/2" pieces
1 bunch radishes, trimmed, cut into thin wedges
2 c flat leaf parsley leaves chopped

Whisk shallot, oil and vinegar in a large bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add cucumbers, radishes, parsley and almonds, toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.

It was high time I tried something healthy.  Spring is coming, and I felt like we needed a fresh and vegetable based side dish.

Obviously, this is a very easy dish to make.  I love cucumbers and radishes -- so I knew I would like this combo.  Radishes are an early spring food for me.  When I was little, it was very exciting when the little fresh radishes became available.  My mom would slice them really thin, and it was delicious on sandwiches, or on a fresh roll with just butter and salt.  These days, I like to dip them in sea salt and eat them.  I enjoy the tender little radishes first out in the season, and this salad seemed like the perfect dish for that.

The salad is fresh, light, crunchy and delicious.  The sliced almonds provide an unexpected and different texture in an otherwise crunch salad.  All the main ingredients are up front and center -- so only make this if you like cucumbers, parsley and radishes.  Also, be sure to use plenty of salt and pepper -- it really brings the flavors together.






1 comment:

  1. Wow - that sounds really good! For us, a bit of radishes goes a long way, but we like them and parsley and cukes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete