Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Shrimp with Farro and Spring Vegetables

Source:
Bon Appetit Magazine

8 oz farro
2 T butter
2 T minced shallots
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 t fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 c white wine
20 large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 c sugarsnap peas cut into 1/2 inch pieces
10 thin asparagus spears, stems removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c chicken broth
1 t fresh lemon juice

In a  large pot of generously salted boiling water, cook farro until firm tender, about 8 minutes.  Drain and set aside.  Over medium heat, melt butter in large pot.  Add shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.  Add garlic and thyme and cook another minute.  Add wine, and increase heat to medium high.  Add shrimp, and cook until they just start to turn opaque.  Add peas, asparagus and reserved farro.  Add cream, broth, lemon juice.  Salt to taste.  Stir and cook for two more minutes -- or as long as it takes for sauce to thicken.

How is this for a Spring recipe?  This recipe appealed to me b/c I've never worked with farro before.  It's one of those "ancient grains" that are so popular these days. They are also really good for you and very filling.   I had to go Whole Foods to find farro -- in the bulk bins.
This is what farro looks like cooked.  It tastes pretty much like brown rice.  Maybe a little "toothier" if that makes sense.

The recipe is very easy to put together.  I loved the use of all the fresh spring vegetables.  Must confess that I used dried thyme instead of fresh.

This dish is delicious.  Fresh, yet feels rich and decadent from the use of the cream.  By the way, I think you can easily reduce the cream to half a cup -- it would still be rich and creamy and delicious, with far less fat.  And did I mention that it takes less than a half hour to put together.  Highly recommend.  Do yourself a favor and make this dish.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I have some overpriced farro in my pantry which I was going to use with a different shrimp recipe which I can't find. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete