Sunday, February 24, 2013

Apple Maple Turnover

Source:  All You Magazine

2T butter
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced (I didn't peel mine-- apple peel never bothers me)
3 T sugar
2 T maple syrup
1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
1 T milk

Melt butter in a skillet.  Add apples and cook, stirring  occasionally until browned and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.  Stir in 2 T sugar and maple syrup.  Cook, stirring, until apples are soft but not falling apart and liquid is syrupy.  Transfer to bowl and cool completely. (Yeah, a totally forgot this step.)
Preheat oven to 400.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.  Unroll pastry and cut into 4 squares.
Place one piece of pastry info front of you so that a point faces you.  Spoon apple mixture over half, leaving a half inch border.  Fold over to enclose filling, forming a triangle.  Press edges with a fork to seal. Place on baking sheet.  Brush with milk and remaining sugar.  Bake until puffed and golden 15-20 minutes.  Wait for 5 minutes.  Serve warm.




If by now you are starting to wonder, what's with all the dessert recipes ...well, get used to it.  I am a huge dessert fan.  I love making (and eating) desserts.  I picked this recipe because I always have apples on hand --it's my daughter's favorite fruit, so we buy them all the time.  I was eager to try them in a different way.  The recipe also seemed easy, yielding  beautiful pastries.


I doubled the recipe. What was I going to do with the other sheet of puff pastry?  So the recipe came together easily.  I had a lot of apple mixture left over after a filled my pastry triangles.  I don't know if I underfilled my pastry -- I had trouble as it was to make sure they are properly sealed.  So I would suggest using 3 apples instead of 4 if you are going to double the recipe.  Otherwise, easy peasy.


My 3 year old got the first pastry.  I was somewhat concerned b/c she pretty much ate around the filling -- ate all the pastry, and then informed me that she was done.

I thought it was OK.  Lot of pastry to the apple ratio -- so maybe I did underfill my pastries.  Maybe I should have rolled it out the bit, so the pastry is thinner but bigger.  Otherwise, not overly sweet, which I think is a good thing.  I was disappointed in the lack of maple flavor.  Overall, the filling wasn't particularly tasty -- maybe my daughter was right, after all.  Next time, I would definitely add more maple syrup, and possible a little lemon juice in the filling to jazz it up a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least they are pretty and didn't take you hours to make :) Better than no dessert I would say!

    ReplyDelete