Thursday, February 7, 2013

Velvet Crumb Cake

Source:  Bisquick Box

Yes, folks for my first trial, I made a velvet crumb cake with broiled frosting  -- from the recipe on the Bisquick box.  I was intrigued by the unusual method of baking a cake, and putting a topping on it,  and broiling it.  I thought that was unusual.

This is the cake after you take it out of the oven.  You are supposed to let it cool for a little bit before you put a topping on.



The finished product.

Close-up for the topping.

It was very easy to put together in the mixer.  Cake baked perfectly in 35 minutes.  The recipe call for broiling for 3 minutes - -part of the coconut topping got a little dark -- I would probably take it out after 2.5 minutes.

It was a little messy to plate -- maybe that will improve once the cake sets a bit.  The topping is like a crunchy crust, and the cake below is very delicate and it crumbles a bit.  I guess that's why they call it a "crumble cake".

The cake is delicious -- the toasted nuts/coconut in the topping is delicious -- it's sweet, it's crunchy, it's buttery ... it's good.  The cake is very delicate, and has a delightful yeasty quality to it (the Bisquick?).  The overall verdict -- this is a delicious, and easy cake to bake.  Would be perfect for a brunch or afternoon coffee.  Goes in the "I will definitely make again" category.

Velvet Crumb Cake

for the cake:
1.5 c  Bisquick mix
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk or water
2 T shortening
1 tsp vanilla

for the topping:
1/2 c flaked coconut
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c chopped nuts
3 T margarine softened
2 T milk


Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 8" square or 9" round pan.  I used an 8' square glass pan.
Beat all ingredients (except topping) in large bowl on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl.  I used milk instead of water, and instead of sugar and vanilla extract, I used half a cup of sugar from the jar where I keep my very special Zanzibar vanilla beans - it flavors the sugar and it's delightful.  Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.  Pour into pan.

Bake 30-35 minutes, until tester comes out clean. Cool slightly.

Prepare topping -- mix all ingredients.  I used walnuts.

Spread topping on cake.  Broil for 3 minutes.  Be careful after 2 minutes.  Mine could have used 15 seconds less under the broiler.





1 comment:

  1. That is very interesting! I never would have thought of broiling a topping either. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete