Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

Source:  Dannon Yogurt container

2 T canola oil
1 large sweet onion sliced
2 t ground cumin
3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (I didn't bother peeling the potatoes -- you don't even notice the peels once you've pureed the soup)
1.5 qt chicken broth
1 3/4 c plain yogurt
2 T chopped parsley or cilantro  (I used parsley)
1/4 c pumpkin seed

In a soup heat oil, add onion and cumin.  Sautee for 3-4 minutes.  Add potatoes and chicken broth and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.   Puree soup with 1.5 c yogurt and parsley.  Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream, and toasted pumpkin seeds.

You ask -- why do a hot creamy soup right when the weather finally got warm?  There is no reason other than I like soup, and this looked incredibly intriguing.  Let me just say up front that I find the combination of cumin and sweet potato heavenly.  The soup simmering away smelled incredibly delicious.  It was fairly easy and straightforward. The pureeing of hot soup in batches is a bit of a pain -- those of you with an immersion blender probably would have a much easier time with this recipe.

The soup is delicious.  Creamy, sweet with a bit of heat from the cumin, and the salty crunch of the pumpkin seeds is the perfect garnish.  Be aggressive with the seasonings -- salt and cumin, the soup can take it.  Also, fair warning, this makes a HUGE batch of soup, making it perfect for company. Also, very healthy -- I used fat free yogurt, and my home made vegetable broth -- so low fat, no preservatives, beta carotene from the sweet potatoes, probiotics, calcium from the yogurt - -a delicious, healthy and different meal.  Would be perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich in the winter.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting combination. I don't think I'll be making this one. I know Tony wouldn't eat it, so... I'll have to try it sometime at your house! :)

    ReplyDelete