Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flaxseed Muffins

This week's post is going to be a little bit different.  The flaxseed muffins were a complete failure.  I am not even going to put the recipe here, b/c, well, it was just bad.  I don't even think that there is a way to salvage it, or tweak it.  The recipe is chock full of good things for you -- flaxseed meal, oat bran, shredded carrots, grated apples, raisins, pecans -- I was excited to come up with a healthy breakfast muffin.  BTW, the recipe also didn't have any fat in it - -other than what is in the nuts, eggs and milk.  So, off I went baking these muffins.  I had to specially find oat bran at the store (think gluten free section).  I already have flaxseed meal in my freezer b/c I like to sneak it into my daughter's yogurt.  So, the muffins are super healthy, and they taste exactly like that -- super healthy -- you can "feel" all the fiber you are eating, the moisture is the "fake" moisture coming from the carrots and apples and not the silkiness that comes from fat, they are not sweet, and they don't have much flavor despite generous addition of cinnamon and vanilla.  So. I remain on the hunt for a healthy and tasty breakfast treat, and won't make these again unless I have taste for "cardboard muffins."

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the recipe, but at least you have now narrowed the field... by one!

    ReplyDelete