Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Moroccan Rub

Source:  Real Simple Magazine

1 T sweet paprika
2 t ground ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1.5 t kosher salt
1/2 black pepper

The last few recipes I tried from Real Simple have been kind of bland, but I figured, how can you go bland with a spice rub, right?  So I made this rub -- added a little extra paprika.  OK, almost twice as much.  But, I am from Hungary, and we get a little excited when it comes to using paprika -- come on, it smells so good and looks so pretty!!

I used the rub on boneless skinless chicken breasts, b/c that's what I had at home.  I was concerned that the rub wouldn't do much to flavor the larger pieces of meat, so I was very generous with it, and rubbed copious amounts onto the chicken.  Then I grilled the chicken breasts.

The flavor was definitely very unique.  You got the strong notes of ginger, with the hint of cinnamon, which is definitely very exotic.  Moroccan?  I think I went overboard with the amount of spice rub I used, and they burned a touch -- which made them a little bitter.  I don't know that this will become a regular in my repertoire, but it was definitely a different variation on the ubiquitous grilled chicken breast.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I am not sure I have ever had something that I could identify as Moroccan...

    ReplyDelete