Sunday, June 9, 2013

Oriental Marinated Asparagus

Source -- Label on the bunch of asparagus I bought.

1 bunch green asparagus
1/4 c seasoned rice wine vinegar (I just used plain white rice wine vinegar)
1 T sesame oil
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
sliced pimentos
toasted sesame seeds

Boil asparagus for 2-5 minutes.  Mix vinegar and sesame oil.  Add asparagus and water chestnuts.  Let it sit in the fridge for about an hour.  Garnish with pimento and sesame seeds.

I love green asparagus.  It's one of my favorite vegetables.  I especially love it early in the season when they are thinner and more tender.  I invariably toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven, or maybe grill them.  I have found though, that the back of the asparagus labels have some pretty neat recipes that are different.  I made a delicious cream of asparagus soup from there before.  So when I saw this marinated asparagus recipe, I was intrigued, and decided to try it.

I did not enjoy the acidic taste of the asparagus.  I guess I should have gotten a clue since that's what a marinade is.  I think I like preparations that play up the natural sweetness of the asparagus.

So is this dish easy to prepare?  Yes.  Healthy?  Yes.  Different?  Yes.  Pretty?  Yes.  Delicious?  Not really.

1 comment:

  1. lol good to know it is not delicious! I love asparagus, too. Roasted is usually my favorite just like you. At least now we know we are NOT missing out :)

    ReplyDelete