Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pasta with Roasted Tomato- Meat Sauce

Source:  Cooking Light Magazine

1 pint cherry tomatoes
8 oz uncooked spaghetti
2 t unsalted butter
9 oz ground pork
1 T minced garlic
1/2 t salt
1/2 t crushed red pepper (I omitted this b/c I didn't think my 3 year old could handle the heat)
3 canned anchovy fillets, drained and chopped (I use tubed anchovy paste -- keeps better and is less messy -- so I just used a nice big squirt)
1/4 dry sherry
1.5 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 c fresh basil (I omitted this., b/c ....well, b/c I was too lazy to walk down to my neighbor's yard, and pick some)


Put tomatoes on cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Melt butter in large skillet.  Add pork, garlic, salt, pepper and anchovies.  Cook 4 minutes or until pork is browned, stirring to crumble.  Add sherry to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.  Add tomatoes and vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until tomatoes release their juices and sauce is slightly thickened.
Combine pasta and sauce in a large bowl, toss to coat.  Sprinkle with basil.


I was looking for a quick and easy recipe.  The fact that it's "healthy", didn't hurt either.  And I am always on the hunt for recipes where the leftovers make for a good and portable lunch the next day.  And then, my daughter LOVES "noodles", so I knew this would be a hit.

This recipe is a little work, and there are a few unusual flavor twists.  But well worth it.  You can tell just from the recipe that the seasoning is fairly aggressive, and the recipe takes advantage of every trick to impart flavor without fat and salt.  (think -- roasted tomatoes to make sauce).  And it's absolutely dynamite.  Juicy, flavorful, rich tasting sauce.  I highly recommend this one.

And one quick closing note on the issue of anchovies.  I know most people don't like them.  I don't like them.  People on Food Network always say:  "it doesn't tasty fishy, it just deepens the flavor of the dish.  Sounds stupid -- maybe.  But absolutely true.  So don't skip this ingredient.  It'll add much to your dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment