Sunday, September 29, 2013

Buttermilk biscuits

Source:  Buttermilk carton

2 c flour sifted
1 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/3 t sea salt
10 T unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
2/3 c chilled buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add butter and blend with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. I used my pastry blender.  Gradually add buttermilk, mix with fork until large, most clumps form.  Shape dough into a ball and roll out on a surface well dusted with flour.  Cut into 3 inch rounds.  Place biscuits one inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment.  I used a pizza stone -- no parchment. Bake biscuits approximately 20 minutes, until lightly browned.

I love a good biscuit.  Never made one before.  I'd always been scared off by the rolling, the mixing, the over mixing.  But it was time to take a chance.  I was invited for soup to a friend's house and I thought --let's try it.  I looked at several recipes, and i am prepared to try several , but my first attempt is a buttermilk  one, because I love the texture buttermilk gives baked goods, and was hoping it would be more forgiving.

I tried to follow the recipe exactly.  I  cut in the butter thoroughly.  I tried not to overmix once I added the buttermilk.  I rolled it out, cut it out, and baked them.  That's when trouble started.  The biscuits would not rise.  They stayed pretty much the same size as when I put them in the oven.  They kind of looked like hockeypucks.  :(  The good news is that they tasted delicious.  Exactly the way biscuits are supposed to taste.  I am not sure what happened -- maybe the baking powder wasn't fresh, maybe I rolled out the biscuits too thin.

We enjoyed them with the salad and soup for dinner -- Certainly not biscuits that you can split in half, and slather with butter.  But delicious taste.  The quest continues, I might even try this recipe again with a brand new box of baking powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment