Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Smoky Shrimp & Zucchini Soft Tacos

Source:  Schnucks circular

1 1/4 shrimp, deveined and cut in half
3 zucchini -- cut lengthwise in half, then sliced
1 sweet onion, cut in half and sliced
2 T oil
1.5 t oregano
1/2 t salt
1.5 t chipotle sauce
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 package of flour or corn tortillas
optional:  avocado, lime, cilantro

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In large bowl, toss shrimp with zucchini, onion, oil, oregano, and salt.  Spread evenly in two large baking pans.  Bake 20-25 minutes until zucchini is tender and browned.

Warm tortillas.  Mix chipotle sauce in with sour cream.  Serve tortillas with shrimp and top with sour cream.

I still get zucchini each week in my CSA box.  I spent all summer trying to keep up with the zucchini bounty.  I made endless versions of zucchini fries, zucchini fritters, zucchini bread.  Gave some away, froze some -- and the zucchini kept on coming.  I am running out of ideas and steam.  Then, I came upon this recipe and thought here is something different.  This is a whole new idea both on tacos, and on zucchini.

Easy to put together.  I would highly recommend trying to get as much moisture out of the shrimp as possible, and taking care not to overcrowd the baking sheets -- all this to roast, rather than steam the ingredients.

So this is a delicious and unique twist on tacos -- and splendid if you want to use up some zucchini.  The lovely roasted slightly crispy parts are delightful.  I didn't add chipotle sauce to my sour cream (my 3 year old doesn't like spicy things), but I think a little kick to the sauce would be great.  I think the lime juice and cilantro would also be nice addition.  Definitely give this recipe a try.

1 comment:

  1. I think I was on vacation when you posted this. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete