Sunday, November 3, 2013

Almond Crunch

Source:  Giada DeLaurentis

1/3 c slivered almonds  (toasted)
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c water

Spread almonds on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.  In a small saucepan heat sugar and water until sugar is dissolved.  Continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, until mixture is golden brown.  Pour over almonds.  Let cool.  Break into pieces.

This is one of the simplest recipes ever.  If you are like me, and have a  variety of nuts on hand at all times -- then you can make this recipe in like 10 minutes, anytime.  It's quick, simple and delicious.  There are just a few things to pay attention to, and you can have a delectable treat.

I am having a rough week, and another rough one is coming up at work.  I really needed to find a recipe that was super simple.  I had neither the time nor the energy to do anything complicated.  At the same time, I didn't want to miss a week.  So although Giada labeled this recipe a "garnish", I thought it was worth a try.

As I mentioned -- super simple.  Do not skip the extra step of roasting the almonds.  It adds a depth of flavor that takes this candy to the next level.  The only other thing I would suggest is to be super careful with the sugar.  Keep watching it while it's cooking.  There is something magical when water and sugar all of a sudden starts to smell like caramel, and looking golden and beautiful.  However, it can go from that to burnt and bitter in a minute, so be careful.  Also, hot sugar burns like nothing else, so do be careful when pouring.

It's a glorious recipe -- see pictures below.  It's sweet and crunchy and nutty.  It looks pretty.  If you don't like hard sugar sticking in you teeth - this recipe is not for you.  Otherwise, make it and enjoy.

This is the color of the caramel when it's ready --maybe I could have let it go 30 second longer, but I wanted make sure it didn't burn.
And now you are done.
Delicious treat is ready!
Isn't it beautiful?

1 comment: