Sunday, November 10, 2013

Steamed Savory Halibut

Source:  Good Housekeeping Magazine

4 6 oz halibut or cod fillets
pinch of cayenne
pinch of salt
1 lb plum tomatoes chopped
1/2 c green olives thinly sliced
1 T Champagne vinegar
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 T olive oil
1 small shallot chopped
1.5 c corn kernels
1 T fresh mint leaves
2 T fresh chives

Fill saucepot with water -- put seasoned (salt/cayenne) fish  fillets in steamer basket and steam for 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, vinegar, oil and 1/4 t salt.  Set aside.  In skillet heat 1 T oil, add shallot and cook for minute.  Add corn and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Transfer to bowl with tomato mixture.  Serve fish on top of tomato corn mixture.

Today is Sunday, and we had no particular plans, so it seemed like a good time to try a recipe that required a little bit of attention.  It's been a while since I've made fish, and it just sounded fabulous.

A couple of ingredient notes:  I couldn't find Champagne vinegar at my regular grocery store.  I ended up using red wine vinegar -- using the rationale that it should be an alcohol based vinegar ?  Also, the recipe says cod or halibut.  For all that's holy, don't buy halibut.  RIDICULOUSLY expensive.   Use the cod, and you'll have a much more user friendly repeatable recipe.

This is not a complicated dish to make.  Just some chopping, steaming and sauteeing.  The flavor combination is lovely.  The "salad" is fresh, acidic, briny and crunchy, which pairs very well with the mellow flavor of the fish.  I used dill instead of the mint and chives -- that's what I had at home, and after a summer of free fresh herbs (granted, from the neighbor's yard -- thanks Andy) -- I still have trouble coughing up $2-3 for a tiny package of herbs.  But the dill worked well.  Also, I think I oversteamed the fish -- it flaked apart and was a little dry.

Nevertheless if you are trying to introduce more fish into your diet -- this is excellent.  Just use cod.  Really.


1 comment:

  1. lol "For all that's holy don't buy halibut!!!" You made me laugh. I'm too cheap to buy halibut. I always struggle to find a fish recipe that I feel I can do justice too. I'll definitely have to try this one! Tony maintains the tradition of no meat Fridays, so we usually end up going out to eat because seafood intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete