Sunday, December 8, 2013

Quinoa with Shrimp

source:  All You magazine


1small onion
12 large shrimp
2 T olive oil
1 1/4 c quinoa
salt and pepper
12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1 t grated lemon zest
2 T fresh lemon juice

Warm oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened -- 3-5 minutes.  Add quinoa, cook, stirring 1 minute.  Add 2 1/4 c water and 1/2 t salt to pan. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes, stirring in shrimp during final 5 minutes.  Lift cover after 15 minutes and check that shrimp is cooked through and most of liquid has been absorbed.  If not, cook 1 minute or 2 longer.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.  Stir in parsley, lemon zest and juice.  Season with salt and pepper.


So I officially suck.  I missed almost an entire month of recipes.  I hope I get a pass b/c it was Thanksgiving, I had major busy season at work, and at home too.  I just could not get it together to write, post, take pictures.  Maybe all of you will take my word for it that for the most part I did cook, and even tried new recipes.

Even now, you'll note my choice of a super simple recipe.  My hope was that it was going to be something quick, easy, with healthy ingredients, and something that I can take leftovers from to work.  I've notices that weeks of eating off a food truck is not good for my wallet or my health.

So, the recipe was super easy to make.  There was nothing more complicated than chopping up the onion and taking care not to burn the quinoa.  Look, this is not a gourmet dinner, so make sure you use the lemon juice and the fresh parsley to add some flavor (and some much needed color) to this dish.  I also used my home based stock to cook the quinoa instead of water to punch up the flavor.

This is a good dish.  Tastes comforting, healthy, protein packed.  A really nice changeup between holidays known for their elaborate and heavy meals.  It's light, you can feel good about eating it, kids like it -- a real winner when you are looking for something quick and easy..



No comments:

Post a Comment