Sunday, December 15, 2013

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

Source:  All You Magazine

1 lb linguini
1/3 c olive oil
2 T butter
6 anchovy fillets from a tin
4 cloves of garlic minced
finely grated lemon zest and the juice of one lemon
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 t oregano
3 T white wine
1/3 c chopped parsley
3 6.5 oz can of clams drained, liquid reserved


Bring pot of salted water to a boil.  Cook linguine -- 2 minutes short of al dente.  Warm oil and butter in large pan.  Add anchovies, garlic, red pepper.  Cook stirring until anchovies melt.  Add lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, wine, half of chopped parsley and clam juice.  Bring to boil, and cook, stirring until slightly thickens, about 7 minutes.  Add clams, cook 1 minute.  Toss sauce with pasta and remaining parsley.

I really like clams with pasta.  I was excited to see this recipe b/c it didn't have any cream in it.  Not that I don't love me a good cream sauce, but the this created the illusion of healthy, although there is a fair amount butter and oil in the sauce.  Plus it's a one pot dinner (well plus the pasta pot).  Not to mention, I'll have leftovers for work.

The sauce takes a little while to put together but you are developing a complex flavor so it's worth the 10 minutes it takes.


This is a rockstar recipe.  The sauce is complex, rich and silky -- with the briny flavor of the anchovies, little added freshness from the lemon zest and parsley.  I can't say enough good things about it.  I would highly recommend trying this dish if you like seafood.  Its flavor is excellent and surprisingly complex while using relatively few, inexpensive and ordinary ingredients. Rockstar.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! We will be doing this! Thanks for the great recommendation :) I struggle on Fridays to cook seafood for Tony. The pics look so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner and for the first time all day my daughter stopped talking. All I head was the slurping noises as she was sucking down the noodles. :)

    ReplyDelete