Saturday, January 4, 2014

Biscuits

Source:  Oprah Magazine

1/2 c whipping cream
1 c self rising flour

Mix until crumbly mixture forms.  Roll out -- cut out biscuits.  Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.

So I know I suck.  2013 is over and I wrote 38 blogposts instead of 47.  How about my assurance that I made plenty more new recipes?  No?  On the upside, I've decided to continue this blog, continue to push myself to try new recipes and fess up when things don't turn out well, look for suggestions on how to make things better and gloat when things turn out delicious.

As for the latest hiatus, I hope everyone can relate to the craziness of the holiday season.  I had family in from overseas, and not only did I not feel like blogging, but we went out most of the time.

So,  for my return, and start of the new year recipe, I chose this super simple two ingredient biscuit recipe.  Loyal readers of this blog are aware of my quest for a fluffy delicious biscuit.  Spoiler alert -- this recipe was a big fail.  First off, I had to get the self rising flour which is way more expensive than regular flour.  Then, I attempted making this recipe for my family, and with my brother, mother and daughter shouting questions at me all at the same time in two different languages -- well, I got confused, and dumped regular flour into the whipping cream.  I suppose I could have fixed it by adding some baking powder, but I didn't know how much, and just got frustrated and dumped the whole thing.  Then finally, I made the recipe.  I had some trouble getting the dough to stick together.  Then I finally managed to roll it out, and and bake it.  AND THEY DIDN'T RISE!!!  What is up with that?  Self rising flour -- fresh, and it still won't rise????  On the upside, the biscuits were tender and absolutely delicious.... little hockey pucks.  The quest for the fluffy biscuit continues.  Or, I should just take a job at a Cracker Barrel.  It might be an improvement on many fronts, but that's a whole different topic.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... My thoughts on seeing the ingredient list was, "I'll be really surprised if this worked out..." :) My dad has a great recipe for whole wheat biscuits. I'll have to try to get it for you.

    ReplyDelete