Sunday, August 4, 2013

Banana Mini-Chip Muffins

Source: Splenda

2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 c butter softened
1/2 c Splenda sugar blend
1/3 c Splenda Brown sugar blend
1 t vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 large egg
12 oz package of semi- sweet chocolate mini chips

Preheat oven to 350

Spray 48 mini muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray (or line them with muffin cups -- as I did).  Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Combine butter, sugar blend and brown sugar blend and vanilla in large bowl.  Beat until creamy.  Beat in bananas and egg.  Gradually mix in flour mixture.  Stir in morsels.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.  Bake 15-30 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes in pan; cool on wire rack completely.

Yes.  My oven is back.  So I am back to baking, baking, baking.  YEAH!!!   I am not a huge artificial sweetener fan.  I am aware of all the studies etc. that state that they are actually worse for you then regular sugar.  But mostly, I am a believer in just eating natural foods, with as little processed and artificial components as possible.  With that said, I was drawn to this recipe -- the little choco-banana muffins sounded delicious.  If I could figure out how to substitute sugar for the Splenda bled, I would have.  I was worried that it might change the texture or taste of the recipe as it was clearly formulated with Splenda in mind.

Obviously, easy to make -- just throw things in a mixer.  I used regular chocolate chips -- mostly b/c I didn't pay attention to the recipe calling for mini-chips.  It turned out fine.  The recipe says it makes 48 mini muffins -- for me, it made 61, and I didn't underfill my muffin cups.

These are tasty little two bite muffins -- the banana taste is very pronounced, with the chocolate chips providing creamy little bitter-sweet surprises.  A solid option for using up mushy overripe bananas.


No comments:

Post a Comment