Sunday, June 8, 2014

Easy BLT Dip

Source:  Philadelphia cream cheese

8 oz cream cheese
1/2 c shredded lettuce
1 c diced tomatoes drained
1.5 c bacon bits

Place unwrapped cream cheese on microwaveable serving plate.  Microwave on high for 45 sec. to 1 minute.  Top with remaining ingredients.  Serve warm with crackers or cut up vegetables.

Honestly, what's not to like about these ingredients.  And can an appetizer get any easier to make?  So it's easy to see that I couldn't resist trying  it.  It's incredibly easy to put together, it looks very attractive (sorry, we devoured it before I thought of taking a picture), and it's very delicious.  Just a couple of suggestions -- make sure you chop the lettuce finely.  I was lazy and just rough chopped it, and it was hard to get a piece on the little crackers I was serving with the dip.  One thing I thought of before I made the dip -- use real bacon.  Bacon Bits are an atrocity as far as I am concerned, all artificial, terrible for you ingredients.  This recipe is so incredibly easy,  that you can go ahead and put in the extra work of frying up a few (or several) slices of bacon, and use that.  You will be rewarded by something so much better and so much better for you (relatively speaking, of course, we are still talking about bacon and cream cheese :).  In the same vein, use real tomatoes, especially in the summertime.  I wish I had done that, and will certainly do it next time.  Make sure you let the tomatoes drain for a while, so the dip doesn't get too wet.

Next time you need to whip up a quick and easy appetizer that is sure to please -- try this recipe.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment