Sunday, June 29, 2014

Herb Scented Onions

Source:  unknown....

4 red onions, quartered
4 plum tomatoes, quarter
1/4 c chicken stock
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t dried thyme
1 T flour
1 clove minced garlic

Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat the bag.  Add onions and tomatoes.  Sprinkle garlic and herbs on vegetables, add stock, and close bag.  Place bag on a plate.  Make several slits in the oven bag, and microwave for 3 minutes.  Lift edges to rearrange vegetables and microwave again for 2 minutes.

This is an odd sounding dish, right?  I thought so.  That's why I had to make it, you know.  I've been getting a lot of onions in my CSA baskets each week, so I was excited to try an onion based dish.  Couldn't be easier to make.  I am going to be honest here -- after I made it, I looked at the dish, and was not excited to try it.  But it's a lot better tasting than it sounds.  It's nice and saucy, Italian notes of the herbs with onions and tomatoes.  This will not be the star of the table.  But if you think to yourself -- I need to make another side dish -- this would be the perfect one to whip up.  You will likely have all the ingredients at hand, it's quick, and would be a nice addition to a starch and a meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment