Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Rhubarb Chicken Salad

source:  Better Homes and Gardens

2 c cooked chicken
1 c thinly sliced rhubarb
1/3 c chopped celery
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 t Dijon mustard
2 T toasted sliced almonds
1 T chopped fresh tarragon

Mix mayonnaise and mustard in large bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add remaining ingredients, with the exception of the almonds.  Cover and chill for 1-4 hours.  Top with almonds.

I love chicken salad.  And faithful readers of this blog know that this Spring I finally started working with rhubarb.  My first attempt, a delicious strawberry/rhubarb filling for a cake turned out fantastic.  It also involved cooking the rhubarb, and a familiar, dessert application; the classic strawberry-rhubarb combo.  I was ready to tackle a raw and savory application.

Obviously, there is not much to this recipe technique-wise.  Super easy to put together.  And it's a really great spin on a traditional chicken salad.  The rhubarb is tart and crunchy.  It's reminiscent of an apple --  adds a lovely burst of freshness that balances out the heaviness of the mayonnaise.   There is a lot of crunch going on this salad -- the almonds, the celery and the rhubarb all add crunch, yet they are all separate and different.  The tarragon adds a dimension on anise-y depth.  I probably skimped on the tarragon b/c I am not a huge fan of its flavor.

Like all chicken salads -- this one depends on the quality of the chicken you are using.  I grilled my chicken breasts, and my chopped chicken had flavor and texture.

This is a delicious and different spin on a chicken salad.  Would be great served in lettuce cups, or with crispy crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment